POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Is this a bug in 3.7RC3 ? Or am I missing something? : Re: Is this a bug in 3.7RC3 ? Or am I missing something? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:27:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is this a bug in 3.7RC3 ? Or am I missing something?
From: clipka
Date: 24 May 2011 19:51:36
Message: <4ddc4488$1@news.povray.org>
Am 24.05.2011 03:21, schrieb SGeier:

>>> This tells me that a number of items can occur inside the isosurface{}
>>> entity. For example [threshold ...] or [contained_by ...] and a whole
>>> class
>>> of [object modifiers]. Nowhere in the docs is any mention that their
>>> order
>>> matters in any way and as a matter of fact some of the examples in the
>>> tutorial have them in an order different from the above.
>>
>> Read section 3.1.1 "Notation and Basic Assumptions"; nowhere in there does
>> it say that the items can be specified in arbitrary order, so it's your
>> assumption that is wrong again here.
>
> No, it is not an assumption. It is an *observation*.

It's an observation that /some/ items can be specified in arbitrary
order (and as a matter of fact happens to be true for all
non-OBJECT_MODIFIER items). However, it was only your /assumption/ that
it was also true for /all/ items including OBJECT_MODIFIER elements.

That said, rather than continuing this interesting nitpicking contest,
please take a step back, rethink, and tell us what you /want/ from the
dev team.

No, we won't improve the docs much before the 3.70 repease proper
(unless some volunteer(s) happen to step up to actively help us with
them - and by actively I mean more than demonstrating that you didn't
understand them), for the simple reason that there's lack of manpower in
that respect. Yes, the docs badly do need some improvement, but (1)
that's not a new issue caused by the 3.6 -> 3.7 transition, and (2) it's
not realistically achievable with just adding a bit of more patchwork
here and there; what's really necessary is a systematic overhaul, which
will possibly include a major rewrite and/or restructuring of many sections.